What is proposed?
To plan for the future the City has started development of a long term Resource Recovery Strategy. The Resource Recovery Strategy involves the development of a plan to maximize waste reduction, reuse, recycling and resource recovery in an economically viable and environmentally responsible manner.
The Resource Recovery Strategy will identify:
- areas of continuous improvement to maximize waste diversion and resource recovery including increasing the current London household waste diversion rate to 60% by 2022 from the current rate of 45%;
- opportunities for advanced resource recovery and increased waste diversion through new, emerging and next generation technologies and where these technologies may play a role in London and area;
- areas to reduce or maintain current costs of City programs;
- ways in which to support local job creation efforts;
- ways in which to maximize program convenience to Londoners; and,
- methods to align with Provincial direction and the Waste Free Ontario Act.