Terms of Reference
Preparing Terms of Reference
The first phase in the Environmental Assessment (EA) process is preparation of a Terms of Reference (ToR). The ToR becomes the framework or work plan for carrying out the EA. The steps in preparing a ToR are presented in “The Process” tab and summarized below.
Develop Proposed ToR
The Proposed ToR was developed with extensive stakeholder engagement which included open houses, a project website, establishment of a Waste Management Community Liaison Committee, attendance at community events and newspaper and social media advertisements.
The Proposed ToR was approved by City Council on October 2, 2018 and formally submitted to the Ministry of the Environment, Conservation and Parks (MECP) on October 12, 2018.
MECP reviews document and seeks comments from stakeholders. The 30 day comment period for stakeholders ran from October 12, 2018 to November 12, 2018.
The City has the option to amend the Proposed ToR to address comments received during the government review. This took place from December 14, 2018 to February 8, 2019. The Proposed Amended ToR was submitted to the MECP on February 8, 2019. The City also submitted a black-lined copy which shows all the changes that were made to the original Proposed ToR.
The Minister of Environment, Conservation and Parks approved the Amended TOR on July 30, 2019.
Key Features of the Amended Terms of Reference
The key features of the Amended ToR are:
- Expansion of the W12A Landfill is the most appropriate disposal option based on previous waste studies.
- Add an additional 25 years of capacity to the W12A Landfill.
- Commitment to increase residential waste diversion from 45% to 60% by 2022.
- Decrease the maximum amount of waste that can be received in a year from 650,000 tonnes to 500,000 tonnes.
- Create a regional service area for the landfill.