Did you know?
- Between 60% and 70% of youth who experience homelessness report leaving family environments where they have experienced violence, including physical, sexual, and/or emotional abuse.(17)
- Youth experiencing homelessness are nearly six times more likely to be victimized in comparison to the general public.(18)
- Homeless female youth are amongst the most vulnerable to be sex trafficked.19
- Youth who identify as LGBTQ2S are at greater risk of experiencing homelessness due to homophobia and transphobia.(20)
- Youth Opportunities Unlimited is building a dedicated emergency shelter for youth in London that will be opening in 2020.
- 12% of individuals accessing London’s adult emergency shelters were between the ages of 18 – 24. This does not include youth who may have accessed family emergency shelter or Violence Against Women (VAW) shelter beds.(21)
- 10% of the 477 individuals on the waitlist for community housing in 2018 were youth under the age of 25.
- 70 individuals under the age of 25 were housed in community housing in 2018. The average wait time to secure housing was 235 days.
- 6,000 Canadian youth are experiencing homelessness on any given night in Canada.(22)
- 20% of the homeless population are young people between the ages of 16 – 24.(23)
- 40% of youth experiencing homelessness identify as LGBTQ2S.(24)
- Community (Social) Housing: Community housing is rent-geared-to-income housing where the rent is based directly on the tenant’s income.
- Youth: Youth refers to young people between the ages of 13 and 24.
- Youth Homelessness: Youth homelessness refers to young people living independently of parents and/or caregivers who do not have a stable, safe, or consistent residence.(25)
- LGBTQ2S: An acronym for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, two-spirit.